I’m always looking for recipes that can make enough to last more than one day, something vegan for Sexy, or can be eaten over more than one meal. This is all three! I adapted this from a recipe I found on allrecipes. This corn bread isn’t dessert sweet, but it’s definitely not bland either. Now, some purists might say that corn bread should never be sweet.
But, for those of you who subscribe to that point of view, feel free to decrease the sugar in this recipe.
Sweet Vegan Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (I like the real stone ground stuff, not Quakers)
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5tsp Ener-G egg replacer plus 2 tbsp of warm water*
- 1 cup soy milk or almond milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 inch round cake pan or cast iron skillet (I like using my mom’s old skillet for this!)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Ina small bowl pour warm water into egg replacer and stir until well blended and thick (like batter)
- Stir egg substitute mixture, milk and vegetable oil into dry ingredients until well combined.(Don’t over mix! The batter will be a little lumpy) Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
I enjoy eating a small slice of this bread solo for breakfast with a dab of butter and preserves, or even in the afternoon as a snack with tea. I think I’ll whip up a batch Thanksgiving morning, so I won’t be tempted to take a slice out of the pie before dinner!
*You could also use 1 egg for a non-vegan version
• What’s your favorite corn bread recipe?