Are you Ready for No-Buy Month?
I mentioned in a poll on my Facebook page last week that I’m going to follow in Frugalista’s footsteps and take on “No Buy Month” for the month of February. Many of you who took the poll on my page said you were willing to participate. Well, let me define what that means…
1. Don’t buy anything that is not a necessity – No. Shoes, lattes and iTunes mp3s are NOT necessities.
2. Just the basics – Only spend money on groceries, bills, copays, subscriptions, babysitting, business expenses, etc.
3. Make a budget – You’ll be surprised how much you’re actually spending on frivolous things when…well…you don’t spend it.
4. Cash is King – Once you make a budget, figure out how much cash you’ll really need every week and go to the ATM only ONCE a week. (You’ll save on fees that way).
5. Get Creative – Just because you’re not going out to the movies this month doesn’t mean you can’t watch a movie. Watch something you own or find something free to do.
6. Tell Your Friends – You know how hard it is to go on a diet when every one around is eating cake for breakfast? Don’t torture yourself. Invite your family, friends and even co-workers to join in! That way you can come up with fun free things to do together!
7. Share the Love – Tweet about it using Frugalista’s tag #nobuymonth and get ideas from other folks who are taking the challenge. Comment here on Savvy Brown about your weekly progress! I’ll be doing digest posts every week that you can reply to with your tips and tricks!
8. Save green by Going Green – Upcycle, Reuse, Compost, Repurpose! That’s the name of the game next month. (If you’ve seen my instagram or Pinterest pages, you already know I’m NUTS about this stuff). You’ll be surprised how much money you can save just by greening things up a bit!
I’ll also have tips and tricks of my own to share, guest bloggers, as well as a giveaway (or two!). If you don’t want to comment every week, (or you’re just shy), feel free to email me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or tips you may want to share.
• Are you going to participate in February’s “No-Buy” Month?