By replacing the large stash of paper towels in my house with a large stack of cloth napkins, microfiber towels, dishrags, skoy cloths I have learned how to stop using paper towels and paper napkins from my home. I estimate that I’ve saved about $300 for the year. Not to mention the reclaimed storage space. (Do you realize how much space a 30 roll value pack of paper towels takes up?)
Here’s how you can stop using paper towels and napkins in 10 easy steps:
1. Stop buying paper towels – this seems obvious, but necessity is truly the mother of invention, and when they stopped being in the house, I started getting creative
2. Use cloth napkins at dinner – Bought mine at the dollar store, but you can also sew them yourself
3. Use microfiber cloths to clean up spills – these are REALLY absorbent and great for spills, drying dishes, exploding blenders, and cat vomit (don’t ask)
4. Use cloth napkins or to cover food in the microwave – I know. I know. “Stop using the microwave.” I’m working on it.
5. Use Skoy cloths – these are great for scrubbing and cleaning and wash really well.
6. Use dish towels – I use them to well, uh, dry the dishes. I also use microfiber cloths for this, they make the job go quicker.
7. Use newspaper to clean the mirrors and windows – It works really well, so do cut up t- shirts!
8. Take a cloth napkin with you – I keep one in the car and one in my bag in case I get takeout and they forget to give me napkins, or my eyeliner starts running, or someone put their wet umbrella on a subway seat…
9.Keep a small pail or flowerpot in the kitchen – I use a pretty pail to toss my dirty rags in after I clean up the kitchen or the bathroom. I keep the cloth napkins in a kitchen drawer so that they’re easy to find.
10. They’re easy to wash – Skoy cloths and sponges can all get washed in the dishwasher, pr laundry, and microfiber towels, dishtowels and washcloths can go in the laundry
The average large pack of napkins costs between $4 and $8. The average 12 pack of paper towels costs between $15 – $20! If every month you have to buy both that’s about $25/month. Over 12 months that’s $300!
- What have you done to stop using paper towels and napkins in your home? How did you do it?