One of the many items that I snagged to review on my day at GreenFest NY was the Hydros Water Bottle. I’ve been in the market for a filtering water bottle for a little while, so I was happily surprised when I came across the Hydros Table at the event and was able to snag it for $20.
Hydros Water Bottle $24
Here’s what I like about it:
– BPA free
– Has an easy-to-install charcoal filter (like my Brita pitcher at home)
– The works pretty quickly to fill the bottle (unlike my Brita pitcher at home)
– Has a nifty side fill port, so you can hold it horizontally under a tap if necessary
– The bottle holds a good 24 oz. Of water which is just enough for me!
– I can throw it in the dishwasher
– One filter lasts for 150 uses or about 3 months
– It’s made at local plants that have a low carbon footprint
– The water tastes great!
– The bottles and filters are fully recyclable
– A full dollar from every sale goes to fund sustainable water projects to help the nearly one billion people who do not have access to water. (THIS!!)
My main use for this bottle is to commute with it and use it wherever I’m working, so that I don’t have to buy/use bottled water. I also use it when I’m on the elliptical machine at home. Now there is one small flaw in the design however. If you don’t close the bottle exactly as it says in the instructions, or if something knocks against it in your bag or purse, the side opening may leak a bit. (I found out the hard way when I wet up my favorite journal). I also don’t carry water when I walking or jogging, so I can’t tell you if running with it is has the same issue.
You MUST soak the charcoal filter in water for 3 minutes before you use it. (When you do it you’ll see why). It was kinda of freaky how the water turned all grey and the filter bubbled as it soaked, but at the end of the 3 minutes, water ran through the filter clear.
Overall I am pleased with this product, and I have actually drank more water since I’ve had this bottle this week alone! Although I wish it was cheaper, the fact that the whole thing is recyclable, part of my money is going to a worthy cause, and I’m saving about 250 bottles of bottled water from landfills makes up for it.
Also, it’s great for air travel! Fits in my car’s cup holder and it’s great for air travel. Just carry the empty bottle in your bag with you through the security checkpoint and then find a bathroom and fill ‘er up! No more spending $7 on bottled water at the airport! (you can even refill the bottle on the plane when you want more water)
RATING: 4 Smart!* – Good product, supports a worthy cause, but wish it was cheaper.
You can find this product in the Savvy Shop.
*Savvy Ratings: 5=Savvy 4=Smart 3=Suitable 2=Satisfactory 1=Stupid
Note: This is the new model that came out last year. The old model does not appear to have a side opening and is a bit smaller